IDC researched the following compelling reasons for consolidation
• For every dollar spent on hardware, 50 cents is spent on power and cooling.
This number has increased consistently over the last several years, and
this is no doubt one of the primary drivers for virtualization and consolidation.
• The average data center is 52% utilized and 1/3 of data centers are
approaching maximum floor space capacity.
• The average rack is 56% utilized and the 1/3 of data centers are approaching
maximum rack space density.
The following are some power and cooling-related facts:
• Power and cooling shortages cause server or storage downtime in 49% of
• According to American Power Conversion (APC), server and storage consume
50% of power and air conditioning consumes 34% of power.
• According to McKinsey, deploying virtualization saves 25-30% of power.
• According to the Department of Energy (DOE) data center electricity has
doubled since 2000, costing about $4.1billion.